Ending Wars, New Wednesday Dinners at West End UMC in Progressive Nashville
Written by Natalie Davis on August 24, 2015
We have a full slate of goings on Tuesday and Wednesday in Music City, everything from awareness raising for immigration issues to discussing sustainability. In addition, Early Voting for the runoff election for mayor and Metro Council continues. Dive in, get informed, and then, get busy, progressives.
TUESDAY, AUG. 25
- The deadline is NOON TODAY to register for “Dynamic Bangladesh,” a United Nations Association meeting happening at Belle Meade United Methodist Church on Saturday, Aug. 29. The gathering will feature Vanderbilt University professor and Bangladesh expert Steven Goodbred. He is expected to speak about his 20 years exploring the dynamics of coastal environments and particularly river deltas where the effects of climate change and sea level rise may be disproportionately high. The cost of the event is $15 for adults, $10 for students. But you need to reserve your seats by the deadline. Either call 615-627-7352 or send email to UNAeventfirstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Task Force on Refugees & Immigrants holds its monthly meeting from 2-3 pm Tuesday at West End United Methodist Church. The group exists to improve community awareness about issues related to refugees and other immigrants, to enhance appreciation of cultural and ethnic diversity, and to serve as a networking avenue for those who support and advocate for our refugee and immigrant brothers and sisters. Get more info from the group’s Facebook page. If you’re interested you certainly are welcome. The church is at 2200 West End Ave.
You know, and I know: War must stop. It’s good for absolutely nothing. Be part of the effort to stop the madness and bring peace to the world. On Tuesday at 7 pm, come out for an End the Wars Meetup at Las Maracas Restaurant, 2704 Gallatin Pike, 37216. All we are saying, is give peace a chance.
WEDNESDAY, AUG. 26
- It’s the time of year that the Tennessee Environmental Council updates the guiding document outlining its agenda and priorities. The TEC Sustainable Tennessee Policy & Practice Workshop is slated for Wednesday, Aug. 26, from 9:30 am-3 pm. Registration includes lunch. Get your ticket early, and it costs $15; admission is $20 at the door. The workshop takes place at Shelby Bottoms Nature Center, 1900 Davidson St.
- There is a new title for West End United Methodist Church’s weekly community supper, but surely there is a place at the table for you this fall. The new Wednesday Night Dinner is served from 5-6 pm in McWhirter Hall and precedes the church’s new activity offerings for adults. It still offers tasty meals catered by Martha Stamps, however. The cost is $10 for grownups and $5 for kids. And reservations must be made by 5 pm on the preceding Monday. RSVP by calling Kirk Clark at 615-321-8500 or by signing up via this link. West End UMC is at 2200 West End Ave.
- If you had planned to attend Nashville Peace and Justice Coalition‘s Aug. 26 roundtable on a variety of progressive issues, cool your jets. The event has been postponed as organizers seek to widen the offering’s concept. Keep an eye out here or at Nashville Peace Calendar for more info and the new date.