Activist Marching Orders – April 7
Written by Natalie Davis on April 7, 2016
The following are links to progressive-issue action alerts we received today. Get busy: Take action for a better world. And remember the words of Alice Walker: “Activism is the rent [we] pay for living on this planet.”
Today we have lots of actions to protect LGBTQ citizens from the hatred of Republican governors and red states, along with a call for nations to help the #BooksBuildLives movement, a demand to stop anonymous shell corporations in the US, and a plea to help Bernie Sanders’ presidential campaign.
- Paypal struck back against North Carolina’s new anti-LGBT law by cancelling a planned expansion there. Behemoth online retailer Amazon has a fulfillment center in the Tar Heel State — the company should take a similar stand for its equality loving customers and move to a state not mired in bigotry and hate: Sign the petition.
- Pro-hate laws, sadly, are popping up in other states too. (Shame on you, Mississippi.) Kansas lawmakers just introduced anti-transgender legislation that would pay college students $2500 to spy on schoolmates in bathrooms. Sign this petition to persuade legislators there to stop this unnecessary, outrageous action. And sign on to Courage Campaign’s effort to send a message to Republican governors across the country: Join Courage Campaign’s diverse coalition of organizations and national leaders in telling Republican governors and state legislators across the US to stop this blatant affront to freedom and equality. Protect LGBTQ USians from hate and discrimination!
- Global Citizen reports that earlier this week, the European Union announced it would commit 52 Million Euros to boost youth education in countries in crisis, like Syria. This sends a strong message and sets a benchmark for other world leaders to commit funds to education in emergencies. Call on World Leaders to attend the World Humanitarian Summit in May and pledge new funding to kickstart the Education Crisis Platform. And when you’re done, tweet the following to get other Armchair Activists to get on board with this crucial effort: #BooksBuildLives! Sign the petition and ask world leaders to help children in crisis, like Raouf, return to school and rebuild their lives.
- The Panama Papers controversy has exposed the sad fact that throughout the world, wealthy lives matter. Credo Mobile has issued an alert for people to take action with a petition going to Congress. Please sign your name and tell lawmakers on Capitol Hill to crack down on tax evasion and criminal activity by ending anonymous shell corporations in the US.
- Finally, a Feel The Bern action alert from MoveOn.org: In the wake of Bernie Sanders’ outstanding Wisconsin win, the group asks us to volunteer for the campaign this weekend by helping spread the word to voters. On Saturday, Bernie will take on the establishment candidate in Wyoming, and the contest moves to New York on April 19 on Saturday as well. If you need inspiration, click through to watch this great video of a NY Bernie rally — then share it.
Want more activism news and alerts delivered to your inbox? Join The Armchair Activist Yahoogroups mailing list. No spam, not high-volume.