Activist Marching Orders – April 10
Written by Natalie Davis on April 10, 2016
The following are links to progressive-issue action alerts we received throughout the weekend. Get busy: Take action for a better world. And remember the words of Alice Walker: “Activism is the rent [we] pay for living on this planet.”
Today we seek to protect our transgender siblings from the wrath of the Republican-controlled and generally inhumane Tennessee State Legislature. Additionally, we have alerts to implore Walmart to reject Drumpf’s hate speech, to call on Senate Democrats in Washington, DC, to protect just-won investment reforms, to help the effort to assist African children ahead of World Malaria Say, and to view and share a new anti-National Rifle Association video with an important message.
- The American Civil Liberties Union says good people must keep the pressure on to stop Tennessee legislators from marginalizing and discriminating against transgender students by banning them from the restrooms and locker rooms that match their gender identity. Please take action even if you have before—the bill is in new committees this coming week and those legislators need to hear your voice. Urge them not to discriminate against transgender youth.
- CREDO Mobile has issued an action alert calling on us to send a demand to a vile retailer. The goal is to ensure that Walmart does not help provide a platform for Donald Drumpf’s harmful and bigoted rhetoric by pledging not to sponsor the Republican National Convention if Drumpf is the GOP presidential nominee. Tell Walmart not to sponsor Drumpf’s hate.
- Another call from CREDO Mobile asks us to sign a petition that will be sent to the US Senate in hopes its Democratic members will oppose efforts to delay or weaken the Department of Labor’s new ‘fiduciary duty’ rule. This new mandate would help prevent shady investment advisors from scamming USians out of billions in retirement savings each year. Please sign on to implore Senate Democrats: Don’t help Republicans sabotage retirement protections.
- World Malaria Day is April 25, and the organization NothingButNets.net needs to raise critical funds to deliver bed nets to refugee kids and families in six sub-Saharan African counties this year: South Sudan, Tanzania, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Burundi, Chad, and Burkina Faso. To help the group reach its 25,000-net goal, there is a TRIPLE match on contributions right now. Please help NBN save lives by making a gift today.
- The progressive activist videographers at Brave New Films have a new piece they need us to watch and share. As BNF notes, the gun industry and the NRA blatantly prioritize their profits over saving thousands of USian lives. In Making a Killing: Guns, Greed, and the NRA, actor Alec Baldwin delivers a message the nation needs to hear. Please watch the vid — you can do so right here — and then share it via email and social media. And if you can, procure a free copy from Brave New Films and host a screening party at your home or in concert with a local progressive group.