Activist Marching Orders – April 12
Written by Natalie Davis on April 12, 2016
The following are links to progressive-issue action alerts recently received. Get busy: Take action for a better world. And remember the words of Alice Walker: “Activism is the rent [we] pay for living on this planet.”
Today, we have news of two #FightFor15 rallies being held in Music City this week. In addition, we’re asking you to sign a petition telling the Tennessee Legislature to stop its anti-trans madness; calling out Kentucky Fried Chicken, which reportedly supplements the colonel’s 11 herbs and spices with a potentially dangerous twelfth ingredient; demanding an official probe into whether US leaders are involved in Panama Papers offshore money-hiding schemes; and speaking for those held in the “world’s saddest zoo.”
- The Nashville Feminist Collective reports that two rallies connected with a globally coordinated #FightFor15 event take place Thursday, April 14. Income inequality is real, people: Half of Tennessee’s workers make less than $15 an hour, and most of them are women.We need to stand for and with low-wage workers! The rallies are: 10am at Charlotte Avenue and 47th and 5pm at the Parthenon in Centennial Park. Be there! RSVP with the #FightFor15 community organizer at http://bit.ly/April14FF15.
- Earlier this week we cheered Mayor Megan Barry for speaking against the anti-transgender bills speeding through the GOP-led Tennessee State Legislature. Today, we’re asking you to raise your voice for justice. Sign onto a petition being sent to the lawmakers and implore that they back away from enshrining bigotry into state law.
- The Center for Science in the Public Interest needs our help. Every year, at least 2 million USians get sick and 23,000 die from antibiotic-resistant infections. Giving chickens antibiotics when they aren’t sick creates antibiotic-resistant “superbugs.” When these superbugs get into our food they can cause serious illnesses that are difficult to cure. Big restaurant chains like Kentucky Fried Chicken must stop serving food from animals fed a routine diet of antibiotics. Let KFC chief Roger Eaton know its chicken does not need this 12th ingredient.
- We’re seeing a lot of fallout from the release of the Panama Papers, documents showing that throughout the world, wealthy lives matter more than ours. So far, Iceland’s prime minister was forced to resign his post, controversies are swirling over officials in many countries, and even Simon Cowell’s involvement has been revealed. We have yet to hear of any USian bigwigs being exposed, but rumor has it names closer to home will get their day. Progressive Sen. Elizabeth Warren and Democratic Sen. Sherrod Brown are demanding that the Treasury Department investigate US links in the Panama Papers, and CREDO Mobile says that we need to stand with them. If you agree, sign on to their call for an official probe.
- Three lions, two bears and two guinea pigs have been abandoned to a grim fate in a closed Armenian zoo. They are surviving on starvation rations, and are shut up in tiny, bare cages. Sign a Care2 petition urging Armenia’s President Serzh Sargsyan to stop the cruelty and to find these animals appropriate homes.